Friday, June 28, 2013

Yes! The WNBA Season is Here!

I'm ecstatic that the 2013 WNBA season finally is here.  I struggled through withdrawal!  I've got my LiveAccess subscription, and I've been watching a game almost every night since the season started.

Those who know me know I LOVE women's basketball, and I LOVE the WNBA.  The talent, athleticism, and skill gets better and better, and of course this year there are the 'Three To See': Brittney Griner, Skylar Diggins, and Elena Delle Donne.  Out of the three, I think Delle Donne (Chicago Sky) has adjusted the fastest, and it appears Diggins (Tulsa Shock) is settling in. The Phoenix Mercury, that feature Brittney Griner, are finally winning, but I'm not sure if the team can fully utilize Griner's strengths because of the run and gun style it uses. That said, she is averaging 16 points a game, so that can be a moot point. All in all, every game all three are improving.

I'm also got my eyes on Davellyn Whyte (San Antonio Silver Stars), Layshia Clarendon (Indiana Fever), Kamiko Williams (New York Liberty), and a few other rookies.  I love what Whyte is doing for the San Antonio Silver Stars.  I think she is a good fit for the Silver Stars' system, and she is fearless.  She isn't afraid to shoot the ball or make a play. 2013 is more than 'The Three to See' by far when you get the chance to see the other rookies in action.

Unfortunately, the defending champion Indiana Fever are not faring well because of a lot of injuries, and neither are the San Antonio Silver Stars.  The surprise is the Washington Mystics, that currently are fourth in the eastern conference.  That's a big change from the mediocrity the club has dealt with over the years. I hope this year the Mystics come up big.

Now, it is obvious Brittney Griner can dunk relatively easily.  I'm curious as to if her dunking will ignite some competitive fire under the likes of Candace Parker (Los Angeles Sparks), Sylvia Fowles (Chicago Sky), and Liz Cambage (Tulsa Shock).

As for me, I'm trying to watch as many games as I can.  I'm milking LiveAccess for all it's worth! There are more games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to choose from, so I'm at the computer trying to choose the match up to watch.  I'm happy to be able to watch almost every team and get a feel for them.  The Seattle Storm games are a bit of a priority because Tina Thompson, one of my all time favorite players, is retiring after this season.  I'm really going to miss her in the league!  I feel like I've grown up with her.

If you don't watch the WNBA, you should really take in some games.  LiveAccess is only $14.99 and that is for the entire 2013 season.  There are games on the ESPN networks, and ABC as well - check the local listings.  For those who live close by to take in a game, take in some.  I'll envy you!

No comments:

Post a Comment