Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Where is the Time to Relax?

I've realized I haven't taken enough time to relax. Really relax - just sit or lie in silence for a few minutes. No telephone, no music or tv in the background, no computer, and no thoughts of a to-do list.

I can count on my two hands the number of times I've stopped everything and just sat in silence (ok, maybe one hand). It is pathetic for someone with no spouse and kids to not take time out to just be.

Of course, since I don't take the time to relax like I should, I find myself feeling overwhelmed, anxious, tired, and generally fed-up with everything more times than I care for. I claim I need a vacation, or that my brain has gone to mush. There are times I feel like I am losing my mind.

However, one day last week I took ten minutes and lied in silence. The only things heard were cars zooming by and birds chirping. Finally, PEACE!!!! No worries, no work, no thinking about tasks - WONDERFUL!

I don't know why I don't go after some peace and quiet more often. I figure because I think like this:

"I need to finish this first, then I can relax."

"I want this out of the way first."

"This will only take a few minutes, then I'll be free."

"I want to make sure (enter name here) already has this."

I say these things everyday. There is ALWAYS something to be done - and something else to be done after that!

I'm hoping that after feeling 10 minutes of delicious calm, I can make the conscious effort to get some zen.

Anyone else in the same boat? Has even the smallest moment of relaxation eluded you? If you make sure you get your zen in, how do you do it?

3 comments:

  1. Get your zen in! I love it. I used to be in the same boat until I realized this one simple truth --- that you mentioned above "there will ALWAYS be something to do" and taking time for yourself is just as important as washing the dishes or making one last business call. If you aren't rejuvenated and functioning at your peak --- everything else will suffer. So, I "get my zen in" by just taking it! I don't ask for permission. I don't wait for the "right time". Ooo...and it is sooo delicious!!

    Actually, TGIF! Time to get off this computer and hit the beach! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't relax these days. I guess I have to get My Zen in too. :)

    ReplyDelete